Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Call asp.net from wordpress

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Call asp.net from wordpress
    Posted: 28 July 2014 at 10:48pm
Hi,
I moved to web wiz because I wanted to host some (as yet incomplete)  asp.net programs / animations whilst also keeping my wordpress blog. I envisaged that the top level domain would be asp.net with the wordpress blog installed in a sub directory. Whilst getting the blog set up in its sub directory /wwwroot/otblog which is now mostly complete but needs a bit of a redesign and update (as I also switched from 2012 to 2014 theme ). I am just beginning to start  the asp.net side of things and  I have been wondering is there a way to call asp.net code from within wordpress in order to create simple animations etc. In order to tie the two things together.

Is this a naive question as anyone tried it?
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 1:37pm
You can run PHP, ASP.NET and Classic ASP on the same website and even in the same folders, the server knows how to handle the page by the file extension., eg. PHP pages have .php extenstion, while ASP.NET have .aspx extension.

However, PHP, and ASP.NET can not talk to each other server side. Which means you can not call ASP.NET code from within PHP code.

You could get around this by creating a hyper link from your PHP page to your ASP.NET page.
abat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 8:24pm
I was considering doing this by creating the asp.net code in a web app and calling this either from an asp.net web page or from within wordpress via javascript code. That should be possible shouldnt it?  Basically I want to send a group of parameter values and get the app to return either an image of a path generated from those parameters, or gcode to cut the path. 

As an aside, is everything running on windows including wordpress? I ask because it would save me some programming time and effort if my web app could execute a program called gcmc ( see http://www.vagrearg.org/content/gcmc) which natively runs on linux, but there is a cross compiled windows version. The last example on that site called wheels is my code and it is patterns / gcode derived from this that I want to display in the asp.net site and also in my blog. Would your system allow me to do that?  

I use vsexpress for web and would like to start as soon as I have tidied up the blog a bit more. By the way I read that web apps in 4.5 require full trust hosting so I would like to request that in advance.
WebWiz-Bruce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Web Wiz Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebWiz-Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 8:32am
1. If you have the skills another alternative that I would suggest is creating an XML web app which can be called using an HTTP request server side from within your .NET code or PHP code and then processed server side.  If security is an issue this would be the best approach.

2. We only provide Windows hosting and do not have gcmc available on our shared hosting platform.

3. ASP.NET 4.5 does not need to run in Full Trust. Most customers running .NET 4.5 applications are not using Full Trust, but if you require Full Trust for any of your .NET applications there are instructions on the page below on how to set this:-

http://www.webwiz.net/kb/web-hosting/changing-asp.net-trust-level.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply